Each season, the Santa Claus, Indiana post office offers a whimsical little "picture postmark" to cancel the postage stamps on holiday mail in December. The special postmark is designed each year by a local high school art student as part of an annual contest.
image via www.santaclausind.org
What a fun way to spread Christmas cheer as you send out cards or letters to your family and friends!
Here are some guidelines you should know if you would like to receive the special postmark on your cards:
- Allow at least a 2-in x 4-in space in the stamp area for the postmark
- Apply postage to cards/letters before sending them to post office
- Picture postmark available on working days between Dec. 1 and Dec. 24
- Picture postmark must be requested
- To ensure good imprint, do not enclose bulky or large items in your holiday mail
- There is no charge for postmarking; however there is a limit of 50 per person per day
- Package your cards, with postage stamps already applied, in a sturdy box/envelope and mail to:
Postmaster, Santa Claus Station
Santa Claus, IN 47579-9998