Monday, August 24, 2009

PBS Kids and PBS Parents



It's back-to-school time again. One thing I can still remember from when I was in elementary school, is watching The Electric Company in class each morning during the time before the starting bell sounded. "Hey you guys!" Remember that? At PBS Kids, you can access fun and educational games from The Electric Company, as well as other popular PBS shows including Reading Rainbow, Word Girl, Cyber Chase, and more. There's also videos, music, and coloring pages for your child to enjoy.

PBS Parents is another great resource that I highly recommend. There are sections on Child Development, Education, Healthy Kids, Issues and Advice, and much more. You can even follow them on twitter @pbsparents. Check it out - there's a wealth of useful information on PBS Parents.

In the PBS Back-to-School newsletter, they offer useful tips along with valuable resources and activities for this much-anticipated time of year. Here's a small sampling of information included in their newsletter:


Get your child back into the school groove with THE ELECTRIC COMPANY! Here are some suggestions from PBSPARENTS.org to keep the literacy learning going even out of the classroom.

*Create a cozy, comfortable reading space with your
child. Set rules for this area in your home to
maintain peaceful reading.

*Let your kids catch you reading. Talk about what
you read in newspapers, books, and magazines with
your children so they understand the importance of
reading.

*Encourage your child to read aloud at home. Your
child will learn to read with expression and
understanding while sharing stories with you – and
siblings and grandparents, too!

*A trip to the grocery store can reinforce reading
skills. Have your child write the grocery list, find
the items using the store's signs, and read product
labels — you can also encourage healthy eating.
_________________________________________________________________


For more helpful tips, visit PBSPARENTS.org. And check out the new Back to School channel on the PBS KIDS GO! Video Player (PBSKIDSGO.org/video) for curriculum-based clips from ARTHUR, THE ELECTRIC COMPANY, MAYA & MIGUEL and more to
foster learning!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, lucky ducky getting to watch that in school! The Electric Company was on when I was a kid, but for the life of me, I can't remember a single thing from it...it obviously wasn't my fave show! haha. I know I watched it since I watched PBS and loved Big Bird 'n all that...

Lisa Anne said...

Visiting from sits. OMG I so remember watching PBS in elementary school. I loved the 3rd grade because i think it was every monday after lunch we'd come inside and watch the painter guy, with the happy trees. Bob Ross. Why can't I be in elementary school again? I hate being an adult.

stephanie said...

I so love PBS programming. It makes my heart happy when my getting-older kids will sit down to enjoy some good old educational TV...

septembermom said...

PBS is a must in my house. My young ones also go online to play the educational games. I remember Electric Company. It was a fun show.