Thursday, October 31, 2013

"Fall Back" - Set Your Clocks Back November 3, 2013

Do you ever have trouble sleeping?

Don't hate me, but, I am one of those very lucky people for whom sleep comes easily. I generally fall asleep within minutes of hitting the pillow and I generally stay asleep until my cell phone alarm awakens me with it's gentle melody (so much better than an annoyingly loud blaring buzz). I rarely take naps, but, if I decide to lay down for a quick rest at any point in the day, I can almost always fall right to sleep.

I love my sleep!

Like most people, I encounter my fair share of stress and worry throughout the day. Unless it's something that needs to be addressed immediately, I usually tell myself to put it aside and revisit it later when I'm winding down for the night. The thing is - and I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing - I fall asleep so quickly that I never get around to working out these daily stresses in my mind. I suppose I should be happy that my worries are not keeping me awake at night. I know many people have problems sleeping and I'm sure it has to be miserable. But, I often feel like there's a lot of unfinished business going on in my head; like I'm not resolving things that need to be resolved.

I mentioned earlier that I wake up to a cell phone alarm; it is a soft, nature-inspired melody and reminds me of a lullaby or something you would hear in a baby toy. I used to use a very loud and very irritating buzzing tone for my alarm. My thought was that the louder and more unpleasant the sound, the faster I would wake up. But, since switching to the soft musical alarm, I find that I wake up just as easily and feel a lot less grumpy about having to get out of bed. It really has made a difference in how I start my mornings.

While we're on the topic of sleep, don't forget that this weekend marks the end of daylight savings time. So, if you live in an area that observes this, remember to set your clocks back one hour before you go to bed Saturday night. I always welcome this time change. Not only do we gain an extra hour of sleep this weekend (my teens are thrilled!), but I enjoy the days getting dark earlier and the fact that winter is on its way. I'm definitely a cold-weather person!

What about you? Do you handle the time change well? And, are you an easy sleeper, like me, or someone who has difficulty with sleep? What kind of alarm do you wake up to?



0 comments: