Friday, December 19, 2008

Fall Into Reading Challenge 2008 - The End


A few months ago, I joined in the 'Fall into Reading Challenge' that was being hosted by Katrina over at Callapiddar Days. To participate, you simply shared your own personal reading goals that you hoped to accomplish throughout the fall. It was great to read everyone's goals and reading lists - I discovered many interesting books and also found some great new blogs to visit. Now that the challenge is wrapping up, it's time to tell how we did with our goals. Below is my original reading list that I hoped to complete....

1. Creepers by David Morrell - I started reading this back in October. It was definitely not my normal type of story, but, nonetheless, I gave it a try. It just didn't seem to hold my attention very well. I stopped reading it and have went back to it a few times and am still plugging away at it now and then. So, I did not finish this book, but, may try to pick it up again after the new year.

2. Wicked by Gregory Maguire - I decided to remove this book from my list. It seems like a story that I would like, but, for some reason, I couldn't make myself start it. Again, it's another book on my list that I did not finish, but still hope to read some time in the future.

3. Ghosts of Old Louisville by David Domine - COMPLETED - This was a fun, quick book to read. It was of special interest to me because it's about the city I'm from.

4. Losing It: And Gaining My Life Back One Pound at a Time by Valerie Bertinelli - This one was also removed from my list due to lack of time.

5. Blue Christmas by Mary Kay Andrews - COMPLETED - This was a spunky little holiday story that I finished in an aftertoon.

6. Where Angels Go by Debbie Macomber - COMPLETED - Loved this one! It was a quick and easy read that had me smiling, laughing, and crying throughout the entire story.

7. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson - I'm about to start this book with the kids now that they are on Christmas break.

*Mr. Cavendish, I Presume by Julia Quinn - COMPLETED - This was a book that I picked up on a whim at the drugstore about a week ago simply because I was drawn to the cover. I loved it and plan to look for more from this author.

I just didn't get to devote as much time to reading as I would have liked. My bedside table and armoire have stacks and stacks of "to be reads" and it's always hard for me to choose what to start next. This reading challenge helped me come up with a plan and actually list the next several books I hoped to read. Even though I didn't finish everything on my short list, I am glad I participated. Click here to read updates from other 'Fall into Reading' participants. Thanks to Katrina for hosting!

~Kari

8 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I read much the same way; books I pick up because of the cover and back cover are the ones I seem to devour. Here's my wrap-up post:

http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/2008/12/fall-into-reading-2008-wrap-up.html

Rue said...

Hi Kari :)

I read Wicked, but it wasn't easy. I liked parts of it, but even though I own all of his books, I haven't picked up another one.

I wanted to pop over and wish you and your family a Very Merry Christmas :)
rue

Robin M said...

Merry Christmas. Wicked is on my reading list for winter reading challenge. I want to read both of Debbie Macomber's angel books. They look really good. If you are up for another reading challenge, please come join my Winter Reading Challenge.

Robin of mytwoblessings

Anonymous said...

Hi Kari. I'm so glad you enjoyed BLUE CHRISTMAS. Thanks for reading, and sharing. Happy Holidays! If you love books, keep checking my blog on MaryKayAndrews.com, because I'm doing lots of book giveaways this winter.

Just Mom said...

Congratulations on what you accomplished with the challenge!

Beth F said...

Nice mix of books. I wrote my wrap-up post last month here.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

I didn't finish all my books either. But the point is -- you did some reading and it looks like like you really got some enjoyment out of it. That counts as success as far as I'm concerned! Thanks again for being part of the challenge.

Lindsay said...

I am with you on not finishing the list. That is great that you just took some off that you couldn't get yourself to read. I have Wicked on my shelf (too thinking I would like it) but I haven't picked it up yet either!