With the arrival of spring, many of us start to think about the big task of “spring cleaning” – that once or twice a year job where we dive in and attempt to do everything from washing our windows to cleaning out our closets. It can be a real hassle, but, there’s nothing better than a freshly organized home.
LYSOL is introducing a new concept called Healthing – an idea centered on keeping families as healthy as possible by looking beyond just cleaning and ensuring that the proper steps are taken to stay well. Healthing goes beyond cleaning and takes a more holistic approach at helping us have healthy homes. It’s an extension of LYSOL’s Mission for Health, which is the motivation behind the creation of their products that kill 99.9 percent of household germs and offer consumers ways to accomplish disinfection and good hygiene.
One important way to incorporate Healthing into your own home, is to understand the difference between cleaning and disinfecting – both are important parts of the Healthing process. It’s obviously important to clean and organize, but killing (disinfecting) germs on commonly touched surfaces in your home can lower the risk of spreading bacteria and viruses between family members.
LYSOL offers more Healthing tips:
* Don’t let spring cleaning overwhelm you – take it one room or area at a time and use the proper products to help you get the job done, including LYSOL products, paper towels, sponges, and trash bags.
* Start with the basics – wipe down easy to reach surfaces and then move on to the little nooks and crannies.
* Don’t forget to disinfect places that you don’t think about often – such as sink drains, light switches, door knobs, and cabinet handles. Use a disinfectant product, like LYSOL Wipes, to help ensure you are killing germs as you clean.
* Remember to dust woodwork, photographs or other art/wall décor, and knick-knacks.
* Make it a family activity. Younger children can even participate by doing simple, one-step jobs like picking toys or clothing up off the floor. Leave the more complex jobs, such as scrubbing and vacuuming to older family members.
* Always practice proper hand washing after you clean. Use soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds or a hand sanitizer. Hand washing is the single most important thing you can do to prevent illness, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
For more information about Healthing and additional resources to help keep your family healthy, please visit the LYSOL website or the LYSOL Facebook page. You can also download LYSOL's Guidebook: What Is Healthing.
• Connecting with 65,000 schools to promote healthy habits and good hygiene.
• Providing educational programs that reach 50% of new moms with health and wellness information related to caring for their newborns.
• Partnering with television personality Giuliana Rancic, LYSOL is reaching out to local YMCAs across the country to teach families about Healthing
• Working with trusted third-party organizations to promote the idea of Healthing. Some of these organizations include the National PTA, the National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, and the Global Hygiene Council.
I'm all in favor of anything I can do to keep my family healthy and happy. Little things that we do each day, like paying particular attention to our hygiene and cleaning habits, can make a real impact on the health of our families. This is what LYSOL’s Healthing campaign is all about. So, this season don’t just spring clean, make an effort to practice spring healthing!