Tuesday, March 19, 2013

17 Cool and Interesting Words That I Should Work Into My Vocabulary

photo credit: jovike via photopin cc

I guess I have a fair enough vocabulary but I'm definitely no wordsmith. I could probably stand some improvement in the area. It's always impressive to hear someone speak with a strong command of language and who uses a variety of unique words.

So, just for fun, I've composed a list of 17 cool and interesting words that I think I should work into my vocabulary. I'm not sure why, but, I just like the sound of these words; they're fun to say! Surely, I'll sound quite impressive if I use them, LOL!;)...

1) happenstance - a chance happening or event
2) lackadaisical - lazy; without interest
3) winsome - charming
4) quixotic - extravagantly chivalrous or romantic; impulsive
5) nefarious - bad, sinful
6) Godspeed - success or fortune
7) hooligan - a hoodlum or criminal
8) ballyhoo - buildup or promotion/plug
9) botheration - annoyance; disturbance (I love this one, it sounds like a fake hillbilly word. And, I can say this as I descend from a long line of hillbilly-type folks)
10) rigmarole - nonsense
11) huggermugger - secrecy
12) obfuscate - to confuse or make unclear
13) yawp - to utter a loud, harsh cry
14) curmudgeon - a bad-tempered grouch
15) eschew - to keep away from or avoid
16) gossamer - fine, see-through
17) alacrity - cheerful liveliness

What about you? Any words you would like to add to the list?...any words that you think are just fun to say or make you feel like a super-smarty-pants when you use them?



Photobucket

8 comments:

Tiffany: Diva Locks said...

My husband usese number two and I honestly thought he just made it up! I was like that is not a real word! ha guess I was wrong :)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Hahaha...Typed the wrong word...Meant to say, I'll be inserting alacrity into my vocab...So much cooler than cheerful!

Greta said...

Love this list! I use about half of these on a regular basis, but i have discovered some new words to add.

Denise C said...

Botheration is my new favorite word, and I will definitely make an effort to use it often :)

Unknown said...

Love your list!! Never knew some one of these existed:)

Unknown said...

This is such a great blog post idea! Wish I had thought of it! :)I think I will try sprinkling "huggermugger" into my conversations this week!
Justin- Writing Pad Dad
Writing Pad Dad Blog

Unknown said...

Oh, yeah, I'm your newest follower! :)
Justin- Writing Pad Dad
Writing Pad Dad Blog