Thursday, October 2, 2008

I should've learned my lesson

I posted here about the huge wind storm that wreaked havoc on our city. Many were left without power for days. We were lucky, our electricity was only out for about 3 or 4 hours. However, I was totally unprepared. I had no working flashlights or batteries on hand at our house. I told myself that I was going to put together a little emergency kit - flashlights, batteries, a radio, bottled water, etc. Well, I didn't do it, and now, once again, I find myself unprepared. We awoke this morning to find that we had no water. There was a major water main break not far from us, and our entire neighborhood (and other surrounding neighborhoods as well) are without water. I didn't even have one single bottle of water. Luckily, my neighbor had a little extra, and sent over a half gallon. At least we were able to brush our teeth and rinse our faces. The elementary school is right next to our neighborhood, and they are also without water. Schools are open, but, I have a feeling they will be dismissing early, if the problem is not resolved soon. My neighbor drove past the water main break on her way to work, and saw gushing water, flooded yards, and workmen in a hole with water up to their chests. I feel for those guys and hope they stay safe. Meanwhile, I'm in serious need of my morning coffee. Looks like I'm either going to have to head to McDonald's or swing by my parents house and grab a cup. I should've learned my lesson and I would have been prepared.

3 comments:

Rue said...

Hi Kari

I'm sorry you're without water. We never realize how much we use something until it's gone. When the lights were out during Ike, I swear I turned on the light switch 400 times to look for something LOL

I hope you have your water back soon.

rue

black eyed susans kitchen said...

That must have been awful! I think that maybe we can all learn a lesson from the girl scouts at this point. A few gallons of water in the basement, flashlights, cans of tuna, emergency kit, I think that I am ready to put together some of this stuff. Hope things are back to normal soon. Susan

Daniela said...

Oh gosh, I hope you got your water back by now. I know exactly how that is. A few years ago we were without water for 3 weeks after a huge flood. I would send you some coffee if I could! Hang in there.