Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Book Review - Jane by April Lindner

Jane


Jane
by April Lindner


When Jane Moore's parents unexpectedly die, she is left with virtually nothing. No money and certainly no support from her uncaring and distant siblings. She is forced to drop out of college and find a way to support herself. Jane takes a job as nanny to young Maddy. Maddy's father is the ultra-famous rock star, Nico Rathburn. While Nico enjoyed much fame, fortune, and notoriety throughout his career, he has been spending his recent time living in seclusion with his daughter at his grand estate, Thornfield Park. Now, he's working on a comeback - new music, photo shoots, world-wide tours - the whole shebang! Nico and Jane come from totally different worlds. Jane is sensible and honest. She never felt love or appreciation from her family so she is somewhat of a loner. At Thornfield Park, she quickly becomes attached to little Maddy. For once, she begins to feel useful and part of a home. She also finds herself drawn to Nico and the two soon embark on a romantic relationship. But, strange occurrences happen at Thornfield Park that leave Jane on edge. Why is she forbidden to go to the third floor of the estate? Who is the mysterious servant that resides on the third floor? And, when these strange occurrences turn dangerous, Jane and Nico's relationship is put to the test. 

Just as Jane was drawn to Nico, I was drawn to this book. First of all, I love the cover. It's mysterious and gothic, showing a lone girl in a beautiful but haunting gray background. As soon as I flipped the book over to the back, these words also drew me in: "What if Jane Eyre fell in love with a rock star?" I knew I had to read this modern retelling of the classic Jane Eyre. The story moves along at a nice pace and I like Thornfield Park as the setting. It's easy to see how Jane falls for Nico - he's brooding and tortured but also hot. Jane sees something in him beyond his wild rock-star past and reputation. While I like the character of Jane, there were a few times I found myself wanting to shout at her, "are you crazy?" But, in the end, the story works itself out in a very satisfying way. A really good, romantic read!
 


1 comments:

Alyssa said...

Great review!! I think the blurb on the back is what drew me in as well... especially since I already love the story of Jane Eyre! :)
- Alyssa of Redhead Heroines
Book Review of "Jane" by April Lindner