Monday, June 4, 2012

Parking Lot Dance Party

This weekend I ran into town to pick up some Chinese food for dinner. My 15 year old daughter and 11 year old son went along. I ran into the restaurant to order the food and let the kids wait in the car. There happened to be another lady ahead of me in line. As we were both waiting for our orders, I noticed that the restaurant worker was staring out the window and shaking her head. Wondering what she was looking at, I glanced outside. There was a car parked one row over from my car. In it was a teenage girl; or I should say hanging out the window of the car was a teenage girl. She looked around the same age as my daughter, maybe 14-16 years old. The lady who was ahead of me in line said, "Oh, that's my daughter." The teenage girl was hanging out the car window, music blaring from the car. Then, she proceeded to open the car door, stand on the ledge of the car, and start dancing. This went on for some time. I watched as two twenty-something looking guys walked by in the parking lot (my daughter later told me she heard the teenage girl yell at them and ask them if they wanted to dance with her - they declined). She continued her provocative dancing, waving wildly at any guys who happened to drive or walk by. Her mother just sat in the restaurant and watched this scene unfold. Never batted an eye.

You've got to be kidding me!

Uh, hello? Is it just me or is that a big parenting fail? Letting your teenage daughter dance crazily in a busy parking lot, inviting strange guys to come dance with her? Maybe I'm making too much out of this but I really cannot comprehend how any part of that is appropriate. If my daughter ever did anything remotely like that, I would've jerked her outta that car and let her have it! Actually, when I got back to my car, the first thing my daughter said was, "Did you see that weird girl dancing and acting like a sleeze-bucket?" She said the girl looked really stupid doing that and that she was embarrassed for her.

That's my girl!



Photobucket

0 comments: