Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Random stuff

  • Yah! Only 9 days until the Twilight movie premiers. We've already bought our tickets to go to the first show at midnight. My neighbor and I are taking our daughters (age 12). This has earned us some brownie points with them, as they think we are cool for taking them to a midnight movie on a school night. I'm sure this will not last long and soon we will be un-cool again.
  • Double Yah! My husband drove my vehicle to the firehouse yesterday (he works 24 hour shifts). Last night he cleaned out the entire inside of my tahoe....even all the gunky, yucky, sticky crud that was in the kids' cupholders. I love to have a clean car.
  • I spent a good 6 hours cleaning out the walk-in closet in our bedroom. It was such a wreck. Once I start Christmas shopping, I start hiding stuff here and there in the closet and then I forget what and where everything is. Now, it is so clean and organized that I just want to sit in there and stare at it all day. I'm trying to be super-organized with my holiday stuff this year.
  • Which brings me to Christmas cards. I love hand-made cards, but, who am I kidding. I don't have the time or energy to do that. So, I will probably try to do photo cards. My kids hate when I tell them it's time to do Christmas card pictures. They will moan and complain and fight over who stands next to who and say that I'm making them wear stupid stuff. Ahhhhh! that Christmas spirit is alive and kicking around here, LOL!
  • While we're on the subject, let's talk about Christmas shopping. Since I'm trying to be super-organized, I typed up a little chart of everyone that I need to shop for. YIKES! 64 people on this list. That's not counting my kids or husband. I'm already stressed about our budget as it is, this just stresses me out even more. Of course some of these are really small gifts, such as for the school bus driver, hairdresser, neighbors, etc. But, doesn't this sound like a lot? I'm curious to know how many people you shop for at Christmas.
  • Speaking of Christmas lists....my children have made out their lists. It's so funny, my 10-yr. old son typed his list. Everything was just haphazardously listed, no commas, nothing. Just one big run-on list of stuff. Now, my daughter, on the other hand, went to great lengths to organize her list. She typed up a list, complete with a VIP section (this is the "Very Important Present" - the thing she wants most, which happens to be a digital camera). Then she listed various other items and color-coded them according to who might want to buy those things for her (parents, grandparents, Santa...) She is definitely growing up, there are no toys or games on her list this year, just clothes, boots, gift cards....
  • On to another subject. I recently went to the doctor for some back and leg pain. While I was there, he did a complete blood work-up. Turns out (which I already knew, but hadn't really done anything about) that my cholesterol and triglycerides are high, my bad cholesterol is bad, my good cholesterol is bad. He told me to go on a strict low-fat diet and to start taking fish oil capsules, then we would recheck it in 3 months. I'm trying, really, but if you've read any of my posts in the pasts, you know how I struggle with dieting. Last week, I did really well the entire week (well, may one or two occasions I slipped and ate chips or something), but, I did not lose a single pound. Very bummed about that. And, what a bad time of year to tell me to go on a low-fat diet. I LOVE Thanksgiving. So much! Seriously, my mouth waters thinking of the turkey, dressing, dumplings, sweet potatoes, pecan pie, and all that good stuff. I am just taking one day at a time, and I've already told myself that it's a given that I'm going to be bad on Thanksgiving. Oh, and the doc also prescribed a "stress-reliever"/anti-depressant that is supposed to also be effective in helping you lose weight. So far, this little purple pill has not impressed me much.

~Kari

4 comments:

mommyholly said...

Oh dieting at this time of year?? Not cool. But I'm also trying, like always hehe!! :) And TWILIGHT eeeeek!!!! Ive got my midnight tickets also, can't WAIT!!! xo!

Jill said...

I am very much a Christmas card geek. I already have ours ready to address....190 in all. We take our Christmas family pictures while it's still 80 degrees outside. The kids are not impressed, to say the least. As far as the gift list, I only have about 15 and I haven't purchased the first thing. I loved reading about your daughther's list. Sounds like something I would do. ha! As for the dieting, I think you should just enjoy the holidays and do the proverbial new year's resolution thing. I will tell you that for the best and lasting results you have to do protein with veggies only and cut out alcohol, diet soda, caffiene and even fruit. Get Suzanne Somer's book Eat Great, Lose Weight. I followed her plan and lost about 20# very easily. The first couple days are hard and then it gets much easier. When you have time sometime, google caffiene's effect on insulin and fat storage. Very interesting. I follow her plan during the week and eat whatever I want on the weekends and stay slim with no problem whatsoever.

Rachel said...

I've been really paranoid about weight gain during my pregnancy so I've been really disciplined about making an eating plan for every day. It helps if I portion food each morning or at least cut-up veggies, etc. That way I eat what I'm supposed to eat and I'm not really hungry to eat other not-so-good things. Now, when it comes to THANKSGIVING...there's a saying in Arabic that I love and it goes something like this, "Once a year, it doesn't matter." So there you go...be good the rest of the time but make sure you enjoy the holiday food.

The purple pill sounds intriguing though ;)

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

I don't think I'm going to have time to make my Christmas cards this year. I'm really bummed about that. My in-laws decided to spring a visit on us and, naturally, they've come during the time I had set aside to get my cards made. :( I don't know who I'm more aggravated with...them for their "surprise visit" or me for my poor planning. Oh well. Moving on.

I take Omega 3 (fish oil) capsules every day, too. Stupid cholesterol. That's just another word for 'YOU'RE GETTING OLD', if you ask me. lol

I'm looking forward to the Twilight movie, too, but probably won't get to go see it until maybe the 24th or 25th. Bummer. Hope it's great. You have to e-mail me and tell me if you loved it, okay? It'll give me something cool to look forward to. lol

Kari