Thursday, May 17, 2012

Things I've Learned Since I Re-Entered The Workforce And Became A Working Girl

You may remember me mentioning that I was getting a new job. For the past few weeks, I have been working in a medical office. It's just a temporary position - I'm working 3-5 days per week, 6 hours per day (I'm still able to get all my kids off to school each morning, which is nice). The medical practice is in the process of transitioning all their patient records over from paper charts to electronic medical records. I'm helping to get the records scanned and placed into the new system. My plan is only to work for about 6-8 weeks, although I could probably work much longer if I chose to do so. The job of getting all the records changed over is a big one and will probably take quite some time.


I have to say, after being out of the workforce for 14 years, it's been quite an adjustment. Back years ago when I worked as a registered nurse, I always worked night shift. Getting up every morning and getting used to this daily "9-5" routine is something new for me. Having to wear nice, grown-up clothes every morning and fight rush hour traffic is definitely something I'm not used to doing.

The job itself is not difficult or overly stressful. It's a pleasant work environment and most everyone in the office is friendly. Oh, and did I mention that I get to work right next to my sister? Yep, she's a long-time employee of the practice and I sit at a work station right next to hers. We have enjoyed chatting and walking downtown to have lunch together. She and a couple of her workmates are also on a big healthy kick - they have been working really hard this year to lose weight and get in shape. I've happily joined in their calorie counting and exercising. We will often hop up from our desks throughout the day and go make a quick trip up and down the 5 flights of stairs to our office. When we walk to lunch, we power walk and burn those calories. I must admit that losing a few pounds has been much easier while working than when I stay at home. I've already lost about 2-3 pounds in the couple weeks I've been there.

There are a few other things I've learned since I re-entered the workforce...

1) Blaring music and belting out loud to my favorite tunes while driving in rush-hour traffic is a good stress-reliever and a fun way to start the day. Some of my most played IPod songs include music by Hall & Oates, Patsy Cline, The Beatles, and The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

2) I'm not too bad at styling some outfits! My working wardrobe was pretty non-existent before I started this job. But, after buying a few pair of khaki and black pants, I've been able to put together some decent looks by mixing and matching with items already in my closet. It's also been especially nice to wear some jewelry pieces that I don't normally wear. I've even gotten some compliments on several items - a bright gold cardigan sweater, a statement necklace, my lavender Sperry shoes, my hair - that's always a nice confidence booster.

3) I've always had an appreciation for working mothers and thought they had a difficult job. But, after experiencing it for myself, I now truly know just how difficult it is. When I started having babies, I only worked for a short time. I left the workforce to become a stay-at-home mom early on, so my kids have really never known me as a working mom. Juggling kids' activities and schedules, missing school events, and just not being there when they get off the school bus has been a real bummer for me. It's also totally reaffirmed my decision to be a stay-at-home mom and made me appreciate my opportunity to do that. I honestly miss being at home so much already and can't wait to stop working.

4) I feel a sense of pride at earning my own paycheck again. While it's not that much money, it's something that I can feel I'm contributing. My husband has always worked very hard, often at multiple jobs, to provide a good life for us. I love and appreciate him for that and we both have always felt strongly about me staying at home with the kids. I know the few paychecks that I'll earn from this job won't amount to anything extraordinary, but, it's still a good feeling.

5) I've also remembered what terrible handwriting many doctors have....Seriously, why do doctors suck at handwriting?

6) Now that I'm working most weekdays, I've had little to no time for blogging. I have fallen way behind on reading my favorite blogs and writing my own blog posts. I haven't had any time to spend on Twitter (oh, I can feel my Klout score dropping as we speak) and I have missed out on earning my usual amount of Swagbucks. Once I finish working, I plan on kicking things up and re-charging my blog a bit. I have a lot of plans for my blog that I want to accomplish this year so I hope you'll stick around with me through this short period of low activity.

Now, I'm off to enjoy a day off. It's the last day of school for our kiddos and we have 8th grade and 5th grade graduation ceremonies to attend. Talk to ya soon!


Photobucket

1 comments:

Tammy said...

Good for you girl. I would need to do the same thing, go out and buy new clothes...I have very few "nice" pieces in my wardrobe. Congrats on the Weight loss. I have been doing Visalus (a shake system) and just took off 10...15 more to go to my goal. I am so excited and feel so much more energy. (If you ever want info on Visalus just let me know.) I have now lost 14 pounds since January! Woohoo! My pants are so baggy, I have to laugh at the droopiness.

Your job sounds like a great place to work for awhile. Knowing its a temp thing probably makes is so much nicer. I also admire working moms. I don't know how they do it, I guess they are really organized.

Talk to you soon! :)