Monday, January 14, 2008

Evening out

Saturday, my good friend, Jennifer, and I went to see a performance of 'The Phantom of the Opera'. I had bought the tickets and surprised her for Christmas. It was our first time seeing 'Phantom' and we were definately not disappointed. In fact, we both loved it. There were times that I got goosebumps. And, at the end, when the performers got standing ovations, I even teared up a little bit. It was just all so beautiful -- the costumes, the music, the scenery, the story. Maybe in my next life I will come back as an opera singer. Or a ballerina. Or an orchestra musician. Probably not. I forgot that I can't carry a tune. Or dance. Oh well. Back to our evening out. A few rows over from us, there was a family with two children. The little girl would suddenly break out into a big bout of loud, gleeful clapping (at times when you weren't supposed to be clapping). I think she couldn't help herself, she was just so mesmerized by it all. After the show, we went to dinner at a nice little restaurant called Lilly's. I was just thrilled to be dining at an establishment that didn't sell 'happy meals' or have a kid's menu that you could color on with little generic crayons. For dessert, I ordered banana rum bread pudding with roasted banana ice cream. Oh. My. Goodness. This is quite possibly the best thing I've ever tasted in my life. And, even though I have never ever made any kind of bread pudding, I may have to start searching for a recipe to try and recreate that dish. The entire meal was delicious. I rarely get to dress up and go out for such a grown-up evening. It was a lot of fun!

~K

1 comments:

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Wow - that sounds like sooooo much fun! My best friend and I are plotting a way to get her husband a job here in Texas (they live in Florida). Hopefully, we'll be successful in our mission (ha) and then she and I will get to do stuff like that together. I'm particularly interested in the whole "eating dessert" thing. Oh yeah and the theater thing sounded great, too. lol