Thursday, January 3, 2008

Synopsis of our Christmas break

  • Didn't get my Christmas shopping finished until Dec. 22 - my goal of being finished by Dec. 1st just didn't happen
  • Procrastinated on sending out Christmas cards, therefore, sent out store-bought cards at the last minute (not the cute, hand-made cards with pictures of my kids, postmarked at the North Pole, that I had hoped to send)
  • Ate a lot of peanut butter fudge
  • Discovered that I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want an iPod of my very own
  • Got some great gifts: hubby gave me a new, programmable coffeemaker and a heated throw blanket (love them!); sister gave me an awesome Longaberger basket filled with pie-baking goodies and a pie cookbook (I guess I've been mouthing off about how I want to learn to bake homemade pies and be the designated pie-baker of the family. Ooops, now I will really have to follow through with it); from mother-in-law, some nice things for the house, a little table, and a pretty, round mirror to hang on the wall; and a gift card to Archivers from my niece (Whoo Hoo! I love that store!)
  • Finally bought daughter some glasses (I really feel bad that we took so long, she was constantly squinting. She now looks so cute in her uber-stylish blue, rectangular frames!
  • Watched several really good movies (The Kingdom, Deja Vu, Knocked Up, The Ex, Eastern Promises) and took the kids to see Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (it was ok)
  • Hubby has been working on oldest son's room in the basement and is almost finished drywalling. YAH! It's not a pleasant thing when a 14 yr. old boy is sharing a room with a 9 yr. old boy and a 7 yr. old boy. He can't wait to get his own room in the basement. We are finishing the basement a little at a time. Hopefully, my craft room will be next.
  • We joined a gym. I have yet to go. I hope this is not an indication of how dedicated I will be to working out at said gym. On the other hand, hubby has been almost every day. That is irksome.
  • Spent New Years eve at home with the kiddos (hubby was on duty at firehouse). Barely stayed awake to see the ball drop.
  • 9 yr. old son started guitar lessons (Santa brought him a brand new guitar). The teacher is a young guy with a college degree in music. We were a little freaked out that he has long, fake fingernails (I'm talking the kind that you go to the salon to get) on his "strumming" hand. I am assuming these are his built-in "picks" but it's a little odd-looking. He comes to our house for the lessons, which is great. One of my friends is bringing her son over for lessons, too, so I think it will be more fun for them to take lessons together.
  • Made some simple 'resolutions' in my head -- eat healthy, exercise more, get my butt in gear and get the house organized, try to do a better job getting out of debt this year....blah blah blah. All the usual stuff. Let's hope this year is the year that I will actually stick with them.

That's about it, I guess. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday. I've so enjoyed discovering all you people and your blogs, and look forward to the new year with you.

~K

6 comments:

Jill said...

Happy New Year to you, too! I always make a bunch of resolutions (big and small) and I'm actually planning on blogging about some of mine yet this week.

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Wow! Y'all did a lot of stuff over the Christmas break! I think my life is busy now, but I can't even imagine what it will be like with 3 older boys! Whew... I'm tired just thinking about it! :)

happy new year!

Lisa said...

Happy New Year Kari!
Good luck with your resolutions, mine are always broken on New Years Day so I don't even bother any more!

LivingTheLife said...

I just found your site through Kari at LivingLarge...I loved your comments to her about your son and the whole dating thing with hubbin! Kids...what are they thinking???

I have enjoyed what I have read on your blog thus far...especially the phone call from daughter on Christmas morning...my daughter was always the one to get up early, too...but it was because she wanted her breakfast...we only opened stockings and checked out what Santa left (unwrapped like your Santa, too) first on Christmas morning then stopped to have a great Christmas breakfast and then on to the other gifts...all b/c Miss Tiny little thing wanted her "breckast"...she's 28 now...and still wants her "breckast" first thing in the morning...so we've continued the whole stockings/santa/breakfast thing throughout the years...funny, too b/c our daughter-in law says it's one of her favorite traditions w/us!

Blessings...
Teresa

ShabbyInTheCity said...

We also have a 14 year old sharing a bedroom with an 8 year old! Crowded! And guitars for Christmas but...cd's and books instead of lessons so far :)

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

This was a great read. But man. Now I'M freaked out about the fake fingernailed, guitar strumming, college dude. lol Ewww.