Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Movie Trailer Tuesday - Joyeux Noel



Over the next several weeks, I will be sharing some movies that I love to watch around the holidays.

This movie ranks high on my list of all-time favorite movies ever! I love movies based on true stories, I love period pieces, and I love films with subtitles - this is all that and more. It's an extraordinary story that is deeply moving.

Set in 1914 during World War I, we find opposing groups of soldiers hunkered down in trenches that are just yards apart. As Christmas Eve arrives, the troops from each side agree to a temporary cease-fire. They gather together to celebrate Christmas as well as bury their dead comrades who have died earlier during their battle. Despite their language differences, the men interact with one another and discover that they are alike in many ways. All of this is done without the permission of their superiors. And, once Christmas is over, they know that the war must go on.


2 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I have never heard of this movie! How is that possible?!!

septembermom said...

Looks like a good one. I like watching movies of that time period.