We live in a suburban area that is just south of Louisville, Kentucky. Our little town has a population of around 11,000 which gives it a nice small-town feel. But, we are close enough to Louisville that we can be just about anywhere in the city in less than 30 minutes. Small town - Big City...the best of both worlds.
The neighborhood we live in was developed about 16 or 17 years ago. In fact, we proudly boast the title of being the first occupants to move in. My husband built our house and several years later, he built another one right up the street and we moved into that one. Here's the house we currently live in and a view of our street.
Our neighborhood is a mix of young families and older families. There are kids and pets aplenty but it is still pretty calm and quiet.
There are lots of things about my neighborhood that I love. Here are a few...
1) We have good neighbors - The neighbors beside me and across from me have lived in the neighborhood for almost as long as we have. Our kids have grown up together. I know I can count on them in a pinch for anything I would need. Over the years, we have been there to borrow cups of sugar, feed and watch each other's children, to look after each other's pets, and just enjoy each other's company over a backyard barbecue or a cup of coffee or cocktail on the back porch. You can never go wrong with good neighbors.
2) We are very close to my kids' schools - Our elementary and middle school are literally on each side of our neighborhood. I could walk there in minutes without having to get out on the main road. Our high school is a little farther away. It's about 5 miles away so it is still very convenient and easy to get to. This has always been comforting to me, knowing that my kids are so nearby during their school-day.
3) We feel safe here - Everyone pretty much keeps an eye out for anything out of the ordinary in our neighborhood. Actually, we have some neighbors who I like to refer to (in a good way) as nosey busy-bodies...they know EVERYTHING that is going on. If something doesn't look right, they are on top of it.
4) Nice curb appeal - All of the residents work hard to keep their homes and yards nice and neat.
5) Patio home section - The front section of our neighborhood contains a street with patio homes. Some people wouldn't like that in their neighborhood but these are maintained well and blend in perfectly with the rest of the area. The great thing about this for me is that my mom lives in one of the patio homes. She is 75 and no longer drives so I am the primary person to take her out on errands, doctor appointments, and such. Living in such close proximity gives her a sense of security and makes it a lot easier on me, as well.
I feel fortunate and thankful to live in such a great place!
How about you? Share something you love about your neighborhood...