Monday, January 20, 2014

I'm Going to Ireland!

I don't know if I've mentioned it yet, but I'm going to be taking a trip to Ireland later this summer. My mom has always wanted to go so she decided to make it happen.

As a gift for my daughter's upcoming high school graduation, my mom is taking me, my daughter, and my sister on this once-in-a-lifetime trip. I've never been out of the U.S. (except for a day-trip into Juarez, Mexico that kinda scared me to pieces) so I am beyond excited. I am also a bit nervous -- I'm not the greatest traveler in that I get a little anxious about being away from home and my people. But, I'm determined to embrace it and have a wonderful time with my loved ones. It's sure to be a great girls' trip!

My daughter is thrilled because she will be turning 18 while we are in Ireland and will officially be able to have a drink at an Irish pub. How fun is that?!

Anyway, I've just started thinking about what to pack and what to wear. My goal is to pack extremely light and do a lot of mix-and-match type outfits that are very casual. The weather at the time of our trip is typically in the 50's-60's and the one consistent thing I've read is that there's always a chance of rain. So, a good rain jacket and some waterproof walking shoes are on my list, for sure.

By the way, my mom is 76 years old. She is in relatively good health, although she does have a bit of lung disease. It doesn't cause too many problems, only if she over-exerts herself or is out in extreme temperatures. But, knowing that this trip would involve a lot of walking, she decided she should start preparing and get in better shape. When the first of the year arrived, she joined our local gym. And, because she no longer drives (I'm the one who takes her most places) guess who got a new gym membership as well? ME! We have been getting up at dark o'thirty and going to the gym about 4 days per week. I'm so proud of her (and me too, really, because I loathe working out). Hopefully, we will both see some good results.

You can check out this set below that I put together on Polyvore to get myself inspired and start thinking about my packing list.

Have you ever been to Ireland? If so, I would love to hear all about it...any tips or suggestions appreciated.
Packing Inspiration for Ireland Trip

6 comments:

Gingermommy said...

I have never been. Even though I am a redhead and people say were are not as few there lol I have always dreamed of going. Looking forward to hearing all about it from you

Tammi @ My Organized Chaos said...

That is going to be a trip of a lifetime! First drink in an irish pub, multi-generational travel - you all are going to have a blast! Have fun planning!!

Unknown said...

I've never been but would LOVE to visit! From the photos I've seen from friends it looks like an amazing place.

Grace said...

Certainly a great place to visit and a great memory as well. Have a great time.

NPC said...

OMG, so jealous. It's on my bucket list. BTW, love your wardrobe choices the colors are so fresh and cool. :)

Unknown said...

Wow! That is so exciting, Kari! I haven't been to Ireland, but I went to London when I was 20. When my grandmother was alive, she wanted to show me London, New York City, and Washington, D.C. We went to one place each summer. It was a great experience! You are going to have so much fun. Can't wait to hear all about it!