Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Movie Trailer Tuesday - A Bear Named Winnie

Welcome to "Movie Trailer Tuesday - my weekly blog feature where I share movie/dvd recommendations by posting a quick blurb and movie trailer for you to check out.

blog

Have you ever wondered what inspired A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh books? Well, here's a movie based on the true story of how this classic and beloved series came to be.

A Canadian soldier on his way to war comes across a bear cub who has just lost her mother. Deciding to take the friendly little cub under his wings, he adopts her and brings her along to his army camp. Naming her Winnie, after his hometown of Winnepeg, the two quickly form a strong and loving bond.

It soon becomes apparent that an army camp during wartime is no place for a bear. The soldier decides he must leave Winnie in care of the London Zoo while he serves his duty. At the zoo, Winnie becomes a huge hit and, later, the inspiration behind the Winnie the Pooh books.

I never knew the story behind Winnie the Pooh so I found this movie to be absolutely charming. It's a little sappy but very heartwarming. I will admit it brought me to tears - a good animal story always seems to do that. A Bear Named Winnie is a sweet story that would be perfect for the whole family to watch.

Starring Michael Fassbender and Gil Bellows. Available on Netflix.

Rated PG - While I think this is a family-friendly movie, be aware that it does deal with the subject of war and the euthanizing of animals.

The following trailer is, unfortunately, in a foreign language. It does not show a lot of detail about the movie but it is the only trailer I was able to find. The movie is in English.

 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't know any of this background information! My wife would love this movie! :)