Monday, February 17, 2014

Quick and Easy Dinner - Pizza Sandwich

"Pizza Sandwich" is something that we've been having in my family since I was a little girl. I think my mom originally found this dish in a Bisquick recipe booklet way back when. It has always been one of my favorites and uses common ingredients that you most likely have on hand. Pair it with a garden salad and you have a quick and easy, comfort-food type of dinner.




Pizza Sandwich - Ingredients:
2 lbs. ground beef
2 or 3 small cans tomato sauce
1 tsp. oregano
2 cups Bisquick baking mix
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
12 slices American cheese
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese


Pizza Sandwich - Directions:

Cook ground beef until brown and then drain. Mix in 1 can of tomato sauce and the oregano; simmer uncovered about 10 minutes


In mixing bowl, combine baking mix, egg, and milk together for crust (I usually adjust these amounts...the dough can be quite stiff and difficult to spread. I prefer it to be a little thinner so that I can "pour" the crust in rather than "spread". Hope that makes sense.)


Place half of the Bisquick mixture into a greased 9x13 pan


Pour remaining tomato sauce over dough, spreading evenly (I usually use about 1.5 of the small cans for this part)


Layer on 6 slices of American cheese


Next layer on the ground beef mixture


Sprinkle mushrooms over ground beef layer (I only add these to half the dish since my oldest son hates mushrooms; you could also leave out if you prefer)


Layer 6 more slices of American cheese and Parmesan cheese



Pour remaining crust mixture over top. Bake 20-25 minutes at 400


Enjoy!






0 comments: