Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Homework help - Flat Stanley

Have you heard of the children's book Flat Stanley? If you have school age children, perhaps you have read the book or maybe your child has had to do a fun assignment with Flat Stanley . In the story, the main character, Stanley, was flattened by a bulletin board that fell on top of him while he was sleeping. Luckily, he wasn't hurt, just flattened. Later in the story, Flat Stanley wanted to visit some friends in California, so his parents folded him up, put him in an envelope and mailed him to California. After a nice visit, his friends sent him back to his family. My youngest son (Zachary, 2nd grade) just read the book with his class. They have also been studying letter writing. Now, they are going to do a project that combines the two. They will be creating their own 'Flat Stanleys' and then writing letters. Stanley and their letter will then be sent to a friend who volunteers to be a host to Flat Stanley. A good host would be someone who could show Flat Stanley around their town/city and take him to local areas of interest. The teacher has requested that, if possible, the kids send their letter to someone in another state. We really do not have anyone who lives out of state. I was hoping I could find one of my wonderful blogging buddies to help us out. You don't actually have to take Flat Stanley on any special outings. But, if you would let us mail him to you, keep him for a few days, then mail him back with your own letter, describing a few places around your town that he might have visited, that would be great. And, if you happen to be out, you could even take a picture or two of yourself and Flat Stanley to send back with him, showing him as he visits his friends. If you have kids, this might be a fun little project for them to take part in, and it would be a big help to Zachary. I can provide postage for you to return Flat Stanley and your letter. If you would be willing to help, just email me. Zachary would really appreciate it. Thank you!

5 comments:

Daniela said...

I would be more than happy to help out. I don't have small children any more, but flat Stanley could visit the veterinary clinic where I work and visit with some of the patients. I don't go back to work until Tuesday the 9th..if that's not too late. OR, I could put him on one of my horses. He would like that..haha

Readings, Recipes and Rambles said...

I did this for both my niece and nephew......it's a cute project and my kids enjoyed it!!!!

Rachel said...

Bummer that I'm leaving Germany Monday...BUT I'm moving to Washington, D.C. and within the first two weeks of being there, we'll be visiting my in-laws in NYC. How long does the project last? If you want me to send you our new address, just leave a comment on my blog.

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Hi Kari, Hopefully, flat Stanley has found an interesting place to go, but if you still need someone, he can run errands in Fair Haven NJ. Wish I had him this weekend, we went to see the amazing lego exhibit at the swedish american museum in Philadelphia.On another note, did you know that if you go to Stephanie Meyers blog, she had the first few chapters of her 5th book of the Twilight series printed for you to read? Apparently, someone leaked it to the internet and she decided to just make it available to everyone. Let me know if you read it...we can have a bloggy book club. Susan

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Is it too late to get in on the Flat Stanley fun? If not, I'd love to host him for a day or two. No return postage necessary!
Let me know. I'd love to show him the Texas sites!

Kari