Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My "Top 10 Tear-Jerker Movies"



This is my post for the monthly Movie Madness carnival hosted by Daily Mish Mash. Be sure to check out her site for all the fun details.

I've decided to list my Top 10 Tear-Jerker movies. Don't know about you, but, I love a movie that let's me have a good cry. Maybe that's weird or morbid, but, that's just the way I am. In every day life, I don't cry too easily. But, give me a sad movie (or even a sappy commercial) and I can boo-hoo with the best of them. So, here they are, in no particular order:


WARNING: If you haven't seen any of these movies, you may encounter a spoiler or two...proceed at your own risk;o)

1. Stepmom - This stars Ed Harris, Julia Roberts, and Susan Sarandon. Julia plays the young new girlfriend to Susan's ex-husband, Ed. The relationship between the two women is difficult, but, when a terminal illness comes in to play, they form a bond. I'm not actually a fan of Susan Sarandon, but, I love her character in this movie. She is an awesome, strong mother and the scenes between her and her children make me bawl every time I watch.

2. I Dreamed of Africa - Kim Basinger is amazing in this film, which is based on a true story. She experiences so much love and loss. If you haven't seen it, you've got to watch.

3. Man on Fire - This may seem like an unusual choice for my list because it is such a violent film. But, the relationship between Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning's characters are what make this a tear-jerker movie. I just lose it every time I watch the ending scene.

4. Armageddon - I'm almost embarrassed to admit this one, but, it's a definate tear-jerker for me. Who can't help but cry when the crew members are saying their goodbyes to their loved ones. And, when Bruce Willis makes the ultimate sacrifice, telling Ben Affleck to take care of his daughter. Even the famous Aerosmith song (Don't Wanna Close My Eyes....) makes me cry. Gosh, I'm almost crying just writing about it.

5. Deep Impact - Another corny choice, but, again, "saying-goodbye-end-of-the-world" stuff makes me cry. When the parents, knowing that they are about to die, but praying that their children will somehow be able to survive, thrust their infant child into the arms of Leelee Sobieski as she and her boyfriend rush off on a motorbike to try to outrun the coming doom, and Tea Leoni gives up the last seat on the helicopter to a mother and child, knowing she will have no other way to escape....ack! It's too much. It makes me cry.

6. The Patriot - This is one of my all-time favorite movies - I love historical movies, especially early American history. I love Mel Gibson. I love Jason Isaacs. I love the scenery. The scene where Mel's little girl finally speaks is so sad (in a happy-sad kind of way). It's hard to imagine living during those times.

7. The Claim - Another of my all-time favorite movies ever! This stars Natassja Kinski, Sarah Polley, Wes Bentley, Milla Jovovich, and Peter Mullan. Set in the late 1800's California gold-rush era, it's a re-telling of The Mayor of Casterbridge. There's greed, love, loss, redemption - it's a beautiful film.

8. The Cider House Rules - I loved both Michael Caine and Tobey Maguire in this movie.

9. Life as a House - Trying to build a house, while facing a terminal illness and reconnect with a troubled teenage son are just some of what makes this a real tear-jerker. Kevin Kline and Hayden Christensen are wonderful together as father and son.

10. Tully - Here's the Netflix description (I'm afraid I'll give too much away if I start talking about it) Through the eyes of eldest son Tully Coates Jr. (Anson Mount), this drama explores a legacy of love and deception among a family of men and the fateful events of one summer that change their world forever. When Tully discovers a long-buried secret that now threatens his family and their farm, he decides to confront his father about the ghosts of a past that have pushed them apart.

11. Dear Frankie - Okay, I know I said "Top 10" but I couldn't leave this one out. A mother has a sailor pretend to be the father that her son has never met (because his real father is a scum-bucket loser). It's a very touching story. And, it stars the gorgeous Gerard Butler.

There you have it, my list of "Top 10 Tear-Jerker Movies". What about you? Do you like movies that make you cry? What are some of your favorites? Be sure to visit Daily Mish Mash for all the other Movie Madness bloggers.

~Kari

7 comments:

Jen said...

What an awesome list! I will definitely be adding some of these to my Netflix queue. Especially Dear Frankie. I saw previews for that one and had wanted to see it but forgot all about it. I love Deep Impact--best disaster movie EVER!!

Thanks for participating!

Daniela said...

Oh, I loved Stepmom and I dreamed of Africa...another good tear jerker is...

The NOTEBOOK. That movie just kills me at the end when they both die together. (I hope I didn't just ruin that for you).

Philadelphia...Tom Hanks is amazing.

Wizard Of Oz..this movie has made me cry since I was 3.

It's A Wonderful Life..this goes without saying.

OLd Yeller....if you don't cry at this movie, your heart is made of stone.

Where the Red Fern Grows...see Old Yeller.

There are more, but if I continue I might start crying..

Pina said...

I cried as never before when I was watching The Lake House. I thought then that life was so unfair to me and that I deserve one like Keanu Reeves to enter my life too. Now I know that this will never happen. :)

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Great post! The Patriot is one of my all time favorite movies ... when the one son dies ... ugh! it's tear-city over here.

I'm not a crier in every day life, but I think something went wacky with my emotions once I had my son ... for the past 6 yrs, I cry at songs, commercials, movies, whatever! It's really quite ridiculous. ~LOL~

Christie said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE "Dear Frankie!" Mostly because I am head over heels in love with Gerard Butler, but still. Such a great show. Loved a lot of the others on your list, too.

And I totally cried during Armageddon, too.

Jill said...

My husband didn't have cable after he got divorced, and the only movie he owned was "Life as a House" and I agree...it's such a tear jerker. In the top ten for me is "When a Man Loves a Woman" with Meg Ryan playing an alcoholic wife/mom. Those two little girls are so cute and sweet in the movie and she's so bad to them. I was on a date watching that movie and I had one of those ugly cries going and I am sure the guy was wondering what in the world he'd gotten into!

Anonymous said...

I,ve only seen a couple of those movies but totally aree with armageddon, bawl my eyes out. What has been making me cry lately is that Ty Pennington house makeover programme, we've had a channel here just showing this for days now and I think I 've cried at everyone I've seen!!!
Lisa x