Thursday, January 24, 2013

Green Smoothie

If you are on Pinterest, I'm sure you've seen lots of pins for healthy green smoothies. There are many variations and they are generally very easy to make. You can easily tweak the ingredient list to your liking.

I'm not a huge smoothie fan, but, I do like to have one occasionally. They are healthy, tasty, and an easy way to get a boost of fruits and/or veggies into my daily diet. One of my goals for the new year was to try and make healthier food choices and I thought a green smoothie for breakfast every now and then would be one way to accomplish that.

 
 
I used some of the recipes that I found on Pinterest as a guide but mostly threw in what I thought sounded good. Here's what I came up with:
 
 
1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (I used Blue Diamond Almond Breeze -YUM!)
About 3 oz. Chobani Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
1 Sliced Banana
Frozen Dole Mango Chunks (I just threw in a handful of chunks)
1/2 TSP Ground Cinnamon
About 1.5 Cups Baby Spinach
4-6 Ice Cubes

Threw it all in a blender and mixed it until it was well blended and thick and frothy.

 
I know some of you might be thinking that looks like a yucky green cup of goo... yes, it does. But, it actually tastes really, really good. It was very filling and kept me from feeling hungry for several hours. I will definitely be having more of these! Such a tasty treat that you can feel good about drinking. And, by changing one or two of the ingredients, you can easily vary the flavors.

Have you tried a green smoothie? If not, is it something that you would like to try?


1 comments:

Paula Parrish said...

I love enjoying a good smoothie for lunch or breakfast. I haven't tried adding greek yogurt, I bet it makes it thick and creamy. Thank for the tip. ;o)