Thursday, September 30, 2010

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop - ...And Then I Panicked.

Mama's Losin' It


I'm a big fan of Mama Kat over at Mama's Losin' It! Each week she hosts a writer's workshop where she provides several prompts that help inspire you and make you think about something to write. To participate in the assignment, you can choose one or more of the prompts and use them to create a piece on your blog. Then, link up to share your piece on her site. This is my first time participating. The prompt I chose for this week is:

...And then I panicked.

When I was younger, my mom was really into sewing and craft-making. For a short period (during my tween years), she participated in a lot of craft fairs where she would go and set up a booth to sell her goods. My best friend, Anna, and I thought this was just the greatest because it meant one thing to us...we got to tag along and run around the craft fair scouting for cute boys. "Are there really that many cute boys at craft fairs?" you ask. The answer is yes. Because most of these craft fairs we went to were held in parks or on school/college campuses, we actually got to see quite a few cute boys. Anyway, one fair in particular stands out in my mind. It was being held at our local community college campus. Anna and I strolled around, checking things out. When we spotted the older brother of a boy we knew, we quickly began our pursuit. He was a high-schooler and we just wanted to quietly follow him and observe his hotness. It was all very harmless. Well, it started out to be very harmless. Now, I have to fill you in on my friend Anna before I go any further. Anna was always outgoing and brave. She wasn't a bit shy when it came to meeting boys. Me? I was content to slink around the corners and just watch. But, not Anna. So, on this day, she decided she was not just going to follow this boy and watch him. She was going to get even closer. Close enough to talk to him. I was so impressed with her brazen attitude. I was also a little scared; I mean, she was going to walk up to a high-school boy and talk to him! I stayed behind a bit, watching her do her thing. She met up with him near the doorway to the main campus building. She said something to him (to this day I don't know what they talked about). It seemed to be going well. As their conversation ended, she nonchalantly leaned against the wall as he walked away. Wow! She really did it. She talked to him. Then, suddenly I was startled by the blaring sound of a fire alarm. Anna, had accidentally leaned against the fire alarm on the wall, setting it off. She was quite shocked and her first instinct was to run...and then I panicked! Since Anna had taken off, I was the only person in the nearby vicinity of the fire alarm. I didn't know what to do. Our cute high-school boy totally threw us under the bus and yelled from across the room, "they did it!" Seriously? It was an accident but I knew I had to find somebody and come clean. By now, several minutes had passed and as I looked for some official person to confess to, the fire department began showing up. Man, they were quick. Finally, I was able to find a campus worker and let them know it was an accident that "my friend" had pulled the fire alarm. She didn't believe it for a second and gave me a good scolding. After the fiasco was finally over, I met up with Anna and we headed back out to the craft fair area. My mom asked, "what was all that commotion going on?" and "did I see a fire truck?"... I told her I didn't have a clue what was going on but "I think somebody accidentally set off the fire alarm."

1 comments:

septembermom said...

Oh no! That's sitcom material :) Great story Kari.