Monday, September 13, 2010

Mystery Of The Airwaves

Downtown Chicago Illinois Nov05 stb 2461Image via WikipediaI keep a radio-alarm clock on my bedside table. Waking up in the morning is not always pleasant for me, especially if I'm waking up to the annoying blare of an alarm clock. I prefer to wake up to my favorite local AM radio station. As I'm gradually trying to make myself get out of bed, I can listen to the news, weather, and traffic. A few mornings ago, my alarm went off as usual, but, I was in a particularly sleepy state of mind and wasn't totally paying attention to what I was hearing on the radio. As I dozed in and out, I thought I heard the radio announcer talking as if he were broadcasting from Chicago. Very strange! I must be dreaming, I thought. I didn't really think much about it until last night when I was setting my alarm. I turned it on to test it out and was surprised at what I heard. It was definitely a Chicago radio station - they were giving traffic reports for the Chicago area and then proceeded to state the temperatures at O'Hare and Midway Airports in Chicago. The radio dial was still set to my local AM station, but, somehow, I was picking up a Chicago channel instead. (Just for reference, I'm in Kentucky) I thought this was pretty darn cool, especially considering the fact that I love Chicago and in my secret fantasy life, I would live in Chicago in a totally hip apartment right smack in the heart of downtown. I would take the Blue Line all the time, stroll around Navy Pier, and shop on Michigan Ave....you get the idea. Anyway, I nudged my husband and told him to listen to the radio. I said,  "It's actually coming from Chicago" and "can you believe this?" He was less impressed and rolled over and fell asleep. After listening for a bit longer, I reluctantly turned off the radio and settled down to sleep. When the radio-alarm went off this morning, a sports news segment was being broadcast. It took only a few minutes for me to figure out that it was back to my regular local station. What a letdown! I was bummed that the mysterious Chicago airwaves were no longer present. I'm sure there's some logical technical reason for this, but since I'm not really a technical person, it will remain a mystery of the airwaves to me.

1 comments:

~dab said...

You're not crazy, it's always been like this. This article explains why: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/daytime.html

As a kid, we used to love to listen to far-away radio stations after sundown.