Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Aloha Friday - Superstitions


Today is Friday the 13th. A dreaded day, for those who are superstitious. Here's what wikipedia says about Friday the 13th:


One theory states that it is a modern amalgamation of two older superstitions: that thirteen is an unlucky number and that Friday is an unlucky day.



In numerology, the number twelve is considered the number of completeness, as reflected in the twelve months of the year, twelve signs of the zodiac, twelve hours of the clock, twelve tribes of Israel, twelve apostles of Jesus, twelve gods of Olympus, etc., whereas the number thirteen was considered irregular, transgressing this completeness. There is also a superstition, thought by some to derive from the Last Supper or a Norse myth, that having thirteen people seated at a table will result in the death of one of the diners



Friday has been considered an unlucky day at least since the 14th century's The Canterbury Tales, and many other professions have regarded Friday as an unlucky day to undertake journeys or begin new projects. Black Friday has been associated with stock market crashes and other disasters since the 1800s. It has also been suggested that Friday was the day that Jesus was crucified.



I think sometimes I am a superstitious person. A little bit, anyway. But, the whole "Friday the 13th" thing never really bothered me. Here's a list of some other superstitions that I found while looking around urbanlegendsonline.com - some very common, others, I've never heard of:

*Step on a crack, break your mother's back = don't step on a crack in the sidewalk

*Finding a four-leaf-clover is good luck

*A cricket in the house brings good luck

*It is good luck to find a ladybug on you

*Walking under a ladder is bad luck

*See a penny pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck

*It's good luck to see three butterflies together

*Before using a bat for the first time, spit on it to make it lucky

*If you sweep trash out your door after dark, that will bring a strange visitor

*It is bad luck to put a hat on a bed





For my Aloha Friday question:



Are you superstitious?



Do you do anything differently on Friday the 13th?



What's another superstition that you've heard of?



If you would like to play along and/or check out more Aloha Friday, click here. Thanks to Kailani, from An Island Life, for being our host.








13 comments:

A Psych Mommy said...

I'm not super super superstitious, but I do a lot of "knock on woods" and I hate travelling on the thirteenth of the month (I have a fear of flying, so I don't need anything else to mess with that!)

Anonymous said...

I'm just a bit superstitious but I don't think today is an unlucky day.

Tim said...

Not superstitious . . . and I do nothing different than everything I always do different. :)

sues2u2 said...

Not terribly superstitous & Friday the 13th doesn't bother me although the movie would! ha,ha

What about hang a horse shoe w/ the points up to bring good luck?

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

Not really superstitious. I think Friday the 13th is just another day on the calender. Another superstition I have heard of is the bad luck after breaking a mirror.s

Anonymous said...

Hold your breath and lift your feet up when passing by a cemetary. (I don't do that.)

I'm not really superstitious, except for saying knock on wood.

janetfaye said...

I try very hard not to be.

Upstatemamma said...

I am not superstitious at all. I don't do anything differently for Friday the 13th. Hubby believes in the power of what a fan at a sporting event is wearing. I wrote a whole bunch about it over on my blog awhile ago. :)

Daniela said...

I'm not very superstitious, but i hate being on the 13th floor of a hotel. I think I watch to many movies. Oh and Congratulations for winning my blog giveaway. I guess that Friday the 13th is lucky for you!

Cathi said...

No, not at all.
I do knock on wood occasionally!!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Hi Kari, We were married on a Friday, and its been 30 years, so I think that Fridays are okay. Friday the 13th has always been pretty lucky for me. I think that I am not so much superstitious as I am karmically aware. If you do good, and you think good you may be more likely to attract good? Anyway, it keeps me on the straight and narrow,
♥, Susan

Unknown said...

I am not terribly superstitious. I knock on wood and throw salt over the shoulder, stuff like that . . . more out of fun than beliefs. I don't like the concept of Friday the 13th due to the movies not the numerology. I hate horror movies!

Tim said...

I'm not the a superstitious type.

I laugh more on Friday 13 because others are funnier.

I heard, talk back to your dad and he will knock you for a loop. Wait . . . that was true. Oh well. :)