Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Thursday Thirteen - My Top 13 Chick Flicks



From Dictionary.com:

Main Entry: chick flick

Part of Speech: n

Definition: a movie intended for and marketed to females, with themes, characters, or events more likely to appeal to women than men; also called chick's flick

Usage: slang


Today, I'll be listing 13 of my favorite chick flicks. I have to tell you, it's very hard to narrow it down to only 13, because chick flicks happen to be one of my favorite types of film. I could probably come up with a list of 100 or more. But, for the sake of the "Thursday Thirteen", here goes:

(listed in no particular order)

1. Under The Tuscan Sun

2. Serendipity

3. One Fine Day

4. The Devil Wears Prada

5. Bridget Jones Diary

6. Sweet Home Alabama

7. The Holiday

8. French Kiss

9. While You Were Sleeping

10. Love Actually

11. Sabrina

12. 27 Dresses

13. Baby Boom

What's your favorite chick flick? If you want to see more Thursday Thirteen, click here.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

I've seen a few of these, my favs being Sweet Home Alabama and 27 Dresses. Happy Valentine Day!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that I'd agree that Love Actually is a chick flick. More of a multi-layered comedy (Bill Nighey stole the show as the washed up rock star!). And Bridget Jones was a comedy too.

I saw the Devil Wears Prada. What a shame that Hollywood had to chicken out at the end and show the Meryl Streep character with a soft side -- a betrayal of the book, in which she was unrelentingly dreadful.

Jackie said...

Great list!! Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

I love chick flicks too! My favorites are While You Were Sleeping, 27 Dresses, and Sweet Home Alabama!

Anonymous said...

I've actually seen a few of those! Good list. Happy T-13!

kandyblossom said...

Not normally a big fan of chick flicks...give me a good action movie or thriller instead. The only one of these I've seen is The Holiday and it was quite amusing, even hubby liked it.

My one chick flick guilty pleasure is Steel Magnolias.

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

I hadn't realized there were so many of them.

janetfaye said...

Bridget Jones Diary and The Devil Wears Prada are my favorites!

Carmen Shirkey Collins said...

I'm partial to the Princess Bride, myself. Also Steel Magnolias, Beaches for a good cry. :)

Mia Celeste said...

I really liked 27 Dresses. Happy TT!

Lazy Daisy said...

Great list...I'm definitely a fan of happy endings and no one gets gunned down or blown up. I've seen them all. Happy Valentine's day.

Karen said...

I love chick flicks too and would find it hard to list only 13.

Happy TT and Valentines!

soleil said...

1, 2 and 4 are great. i also like legally blonde and ever after. happy tt! :)

Anonymous said...

I've seen most of these too & when I saw your title, I thought I wouldn't even know most of them! How silly of me! Serendipity is probably my favorite on your list.

Janet said...

LOVED Bridget Jones and Love Actually :-)

Daniela said...

Ooh, my favs are..
THE NOTEBOOK
WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING
SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE
SWEET HOME ALABAMA
THE HOLIDAY
THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES
SERENDIPITY

Anonymous said...

Sense and Sensibility
Her Majesty, Mrs. Brown
Moulin Rouge
Happy TT! Im up with TT#26- A Lil Too Straight?

Julie said...

I adore almost all the movies on your list. Unfortunately I haven't seen three of them. I will have to remedy this! My faves are 27 Dresses, The Notebook and 13 Going on 30!

The Bumbles said...

Not my typical genre but my favorite is Steel Magnolias as others here have said. My hubby will actually watch that one with me. And we both enjoyed The Devil Wears Prada. I don't know if My Girl is considered a chick flick or not but that is one of the few that makes me cry every time.