Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Adventures of Raising a Teenage Daughter

We have four kids - three boys and one girl. Our daughter is 15 years old. She and I have to stick together since we are outnumbered by the guys in the house. We have a close relationship and get along most all of the time. But, with teenage girls you never know from one minute to the next what's going on in their heads. Sometimes she wants nothing to do with me and blows off my attempts to spend time together. Case in point: a couple months ago we were both saying that we wanted to start watching The Walking Dead tv series. I had recorded season one but we never got around to watching it. I told her, "hey, let's pick a weekend when the boys aren't around and we'll have a Walking Dead tv marathon." I said, "we can make snacks and some fun, fruity mocktails." She rolled her eyes and told me that was the lamest thing I've ever said. Hmmph!

Anyway, we did end up watching The Walking Dead series and both are now addicted to the show. There's a character on the show called Daryl (played by Norman Reedus). My daughter has decided he's the hottest thing around and now has a huge crush on the guy (did I mention she's extremely boy crazy?).  Here he is as Daryl in The Walking Dead -

So, the other day she was at the computer googling pictures of him and called me into the room. I guess she wanted me to ogle him with her...I was game. Hey, I was a boy crazy teenage girl once too and he is pretty hot (in a tough-guy-who-can-kill-zombies kind of way). One of the web pages listed his biographical info and I noticed his birthday. When I pointed this out to her she just about had a fit! Daryl/Norman Reedus was born in the same year as me (I'm 42). My daughter was mortified and yelled out, "he's old!" and "how can he be so hot and be that old!" I just had to laugh. I guess there was a time that I thought being in your 40's meant you were old, too.

Disclaimer:
Our ogling of this guy is all in fun and since he is a celebrity we will never meet. Obviously, I would never let me daughter have anything to do with a man of that age. Obviously. Just had to put that out there, LOL!


Photobucket

0 comments: